Deck Design Ideas to Consider for Your New Jersey Home
Think about both the primary and secondary purposes of your new deck. You'll also want to consider traffic patterns. Don't forget to consider uses for your deck as the seasons change. You'll have different needs and activities during different times of the year.
There are several deck design ideas that you can choose from in order to create the best deck for your home. If you are contemplating building a deck and need some inspiration, read the following ideas below as to what kind of deck may be the right fit for your home.
Attached Deck Designs
The most common type of deck idea is the simple attached deck. This design can be plain, flat, and all one-level or quite complex in shape and multi-leveled. The desk can be designed to house planters or seats, a gazebo, or even a spa tub. The attached type of deck is best for smaller outdoor areas. For homes with a very small yard, you can also attach a deck to the second story of the home and create a balcony.
Unattached Deck Designs
This deck will not be attached to the home and can be placed anywhere in the yard. The decks are more typically found around pools, hot tubs, or are designed for entertaining purposes. The deck can be designed more ornately and complex if you have the space available in your outside area.
Creative Deck Designs
You can design your deck with multi-level steps or even cascade the entire structure from one level of the house to the next or down a hill in the yard. There are also fun shape designs to consider, like curved, triangular, or even trapezoidal. Additionally, entertainment systems, misters, benches, and many other features can be built-in which add function to your deck.
Deck Light Design
When you are dealing with deck light design, there are many options that you could potentially go with. The different types of deck lighting make it very difficult to decide on a style that will work for you. If you are trying to decide on deck lighting, here are a few ideas that could help you get started.
1. Recessed Deck Lights Recessed deck lights can provide you with a lot of style and functionality for your deck space. With recessed lighting, the lights are actually installed directly into the deck itself. This is a great way to outline walkways or surround the outside of the deck.
2. Post Lighting Post deck lights are another great type of lighting that you should consider. As the name suggests, these types of lights are installed right on the top of a post around the edge of the deck. These are a great way to accent an entrance to the deck or a staircase. These can really provide an elegant look if used correctly.
3. Accent Lighting Accent lights are another great lighting option that you could go with. You put accent lights up off the ground on the edge of the wall or railing. This gives you some light on the ground to work with when it is dark. This is another great option for lighting walkways or the edge of the deck.
LED Deck Lights
When you choose the proper deck lights you can add to the overall feel of the space. In addition to the ambiance of the deck, you will also have financial considerations to think about, as well when choosing a type of lighting. One of the better options in the area of deck lighting is LED lights. With LED lights, you get a great light with several benefits. Here are a few reasons that you should choose LED deck lights for your deck.
1. Longer Lifespan - When you compare LED lights to other lighting options, they are considerably more long lasting. In fact, you could get several more years out of an LED light than you can an incandescent or fluorescent light bulb. With an LED light bulb, you can achieve somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 hours of production. By comparison, you may only be able to get 1000 hours out of an incandescent light bulb. Even though they might cost you a little bit more at the beginning, you are rarely going to replace them. Therefore, you can save more money over the long-term than you would with another type of deck light.
2. Energy Efficient - Another advantage of LED deck lights is that they are extremely energy efficient. If you are concerned about being "green," this is going to be your best option. They will use less energy to run because they burn at a very cool temperature compared to other forms of light. In addition to conserving energy for the betterment of the environment, you will also be able to save yourself money over the long term. When you use up less energy each month, your utility bill is going to be lower as a result. These bulbs can pay for themselves over and over again.
3. Durability - With LED deck lights, you are getting a very durable light solution for your outdoor lighting needs. LED lights are not fragile like the other types of lighting options that are available. You do not have to worry about breaking a filament inside the bulb if you move it too suddenly or bump it against something. They are very rugged compared to your other options, which means that you will have more bulbs that work without problems. It is not uncommon to buy several bulbs of another kind and find several that will not work because they have been damaged before you even put them in. With LED lights, you will never have to be concerned about this potential problem.